Listed below are the most popular Dosa Pan recipes I found through research.
Dosa is usually available in any Indian restaurant, as South Indian cuisine has become fashionable and popular. Nevertheless, it’s a difficult task for a beginner to prepare Dosa at home. Moreover, Dosas cannot be made in any pan. Ideally, it should be cooked on a large, flat, nonstick surface that is easy to flip. However, crepe pans are also available in several states that function similarly to dosa pans. So, they are also appropriate for making Dosa.
Having done some research, here is a list of the best dosa pans so that you can make them at home at your convenience.
What is Dosa?
Originating in southern India, Dosas are famous throughout the Indian subcontinent because of their thin shape. Traditionally made from rice and gram, a bean grown in India, dosa batter consists primarily of rice and black gram. Upon fermentation, a thickened batter called a tata is poured onto a heated griddle called the Tava. Tava is usually greased with oil or ghee, which is clarified butter in India. The pancakes are then served hot in a wrap or folded in half, and the batter is spread evenly on the Tava.
3 Best Dosa Pan
Best Dosa Pan
|Hawkins Dosa Pan||Aluminum||Black||3 Pound||BUY NOW|
|Le Creuset Crepe Pan||Aluminum||Gray||4.29 Pound||BUY NOW|
|Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron Griddle ||Cast Iron||Black||4.4 Pound||BUY NOW|
- A heavy-gauge four is used to construct this griddle/Tava. It is 88mm thick and comes with a cookbook
- Heats quickly and evenly
- With a stay-cool handle, this Pan is well balanced and has sturdy rivets
- Protection against pitting, cracking, chipping, tarnishing, rusting, and breaking with hard anodizing
- A nonstick coating is applied to hard anodized surfaces to ensure a longer lifespan.
Item Diameter 11 Inches
Size 11 Inch
Product Dimensions 16.5 × 11× 2.5 inches
Item Weight 3 Pounds
Manufacturer A & I Distributors Inc.
Product Hawkins Futura Nonstick Flat Dosa Tava Griddle. 11- Inch Black
To cook Dosa (rice and gram pancakes) correctly, we designed the Dosa Tava with the optimal curvature and thickness. Its stainless steel rivets, attached to the handle with a flange, ensure that the handle does not interfere with the cooking surface, allowing you to quickly prepare a large dosa or several uttapams or cutlets at once. A heavy gauge metal of 4.88 mm thickness provides fast, even heat exchange and better heat retention. There are 11 tested recipes in the Dosa Tava Instruction Manual, ranging from four different Dosa to uttapams, cutlets, and rolls. With the Dosa Tava, you can cook on your domestic gas cooktop as well as on an electric radiant cooktop.
- An excellent balance between design and functionality
- Keeps hands cool while remaining comfortable
- Cooking dosa is made more accessible with the nonstick coating
- As a result of the anodic coating, the Pan is corrosion-proof, tarnishing-proof, and chip-proof.
- Heat is distributed evenly.
- It is possible to peel away the nonstick coating by scratching it excessively
- Four times stronger surface, triple reinforced, free of PFOA
- With ergonomic handles that stay cool, you can move quickly and comfortably
- The dishwashing machine and metallic utensils are safe to use
- This oven-safe Pan can be used on all cooktops, and the lids can be heated to 425°F (tempered glass).
- An interior with texture promotes browning and searing – and can be easily cleaned.
Brand Le Creuset
Item Diameter 11 Inches
Product Dimensions 20 × 13× 3.5 inches
Item Weight 4.29 Pounds
Manufacturer le Creuset
Product Le Creuset Toughned Non Stick PRO Crepe Pan
The Enameled Cast Iron Crepe Pan by Le Creuset combines functional design with stylish aesthetics. However, since it’s a crepe pan, you can make dosas ideally on it too. With a cooking surface diameter of 10.75 inches, the cherry red ergonomic handle contrasts nicely with the black satin interior. With this French-inspired crepe pan, you’ll be able to cook at any temperature, as well as cook on any stovetop. This oven-safe Pan has a temperature limit that is unusual for oven-safe pans. The Enameled Cast Iron Crepe Pan by Le Creuset is compatible with a wide range of heat sources, including induction, gas, vitro-ceramic glass, coal, electric solid plates, oil, wood, and radiant rings. Dosas are cooked thoroughly and are kept warm for at least 10 minutes in this Pan due to their excellent heat retention.
- It is light in weight
- It is highly heat resistant
- Handling is simple
- A handle made of Bakelite material
- The bottom of the container is made of stainless steel
- It can be used with all types of heat tops
- A temporary nonstick surface
Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron Griddle
Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron Griddle
- Once purchased, the iron is already seasoned and ready to use
- Suitable for all cooking surfaces, barbecues, and campfires
- Safe for the oven
- You can sauté, sear, fry, bake or stir fry all you want
Material Cast Iron
Item Diameter 10.5 Inches
Product Dimensions 15.8 × 10× 1 inches
Item Weight 4.4 Pounds
Manufacturer Lodge Logic
Product Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron Griddle
This Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Griddle will be a great choice if you need a dosa pan ready to use upon arrival. It is an excellent choice for both commercial and residential applications because it delivers heavy-duty performance. Pre-seasoned Lodge Cast Iron pans are tough enough to last for decades while also offering easy care and maintenance. It can be washed by hand with or without soap because it only requires hand washing. Following a thorough wash, it is recommended that you rub a light coating of vegetable oil on it. The Pan should always be stored or hung somewhere dry. In addition to making Dosa, the Pan’s natural finish makes it ideal for various cooking methods, including frying, roasting, broiling, braising, and baking. Ideal for all kinds of cooking, this Pan is an all-rounder.
- Ready to use because it has already been seasoned
- This product works well with many types of surfaces
- Solid design for a long-lasting product
- Washes and maintains easily
- There are no nonstick coatings on the Pan
How to Make Dosa?
- Take urad dal and fenugreek seeds, mix, and soak for four hours in enough water.
- In a large bowl, mix the rice with parboiled rice and thick rice flakes, and soak it for 4 hours in enough water to cover.
- Drain urad dal and fenugreek seeds, and blend them in a mixer with 1 cup of water until they form a smooth paste. Keep the mixture aside in a deep bowl.
- Prepare a smooth paste by blending the rice, parboiled rice, and thick rice flakes using 1 cup of water. In the same bowl, combine the mixture, sprinkle with salt, and stir well.
- Place the container in a warm place and let it ferment for 12 hours.
- Heat a dosa pan (griddle).
- With a damp cloth, wipe the Dosa Pan gently off after being sprayed with water.
- Add a ladleful of batter to it and spread it in a circular motion.
- Cook the Dosa on high heat till it picks up a brown color and becomes crisp. Smear a little ghee over it and along its edges.
- Roll or fold into a semicircle.
- Repeat with more dosa batter.
- As soon as the Dosa is ready, serve it with coconut chutney and sambhar.
Besides preparing South Indian dishes, dosa pans are ideal for cooking various other dishes. The pans are easy to use, care for, and maintain. As for myself, I would recommend Hawkins Dosa Pans since they are very versatile in India, where Dosa comes from. Because the coating is nonstick, they are helpful for both beginners and experienced cooks. Whatever brand you purchase, you should buy a dosa pan that will offer you reliable service throughout its lifetime, regardless of the brand. Keep your Dosa Pan well-maintained to make sure it lasts. Make your favorite Dosa or roti with the best Dosa Pan, and you will be amazed by the results.
I hope that my article on the best dosa pan will be helpful to you.