Can You Fry Chicken Without Flour: Fried chicken is unquestionably a popular food for the majority of people. For every event, including parties, business gatherings, holidays, and everyday life, we would always seek a crispy slice of delectable fried chicken to satisfy our cravings.
Aside from the fact that it is tasty, it is also quite simple to prepare! Cooking oil and the right breading mix is all that is required. Of course, the most crucial element in the breading mix in flour.
The question is, what happens if you run out of flour? No issue, since you can cook chicken without using flour in an air fryer by just coating it with baking powder before frying it. Yes, you read it correctly.
Take a look at this fast recipe and see if you can replicate it at home!
Easy Chicken Without Flour Recipe
- 2 lbs of chicken wings
- ¼ tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- If your chicken wings are still frozen, be sure to thaw them in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours before cooking them. Ensure that the chicken is cooked after it has been defrosted to ensure appropriate food safety and handling.
- Wash and pat dry your chicken with a clean towel or kitchen napkin once it has been adequately cleaned. Make sure the chicken is fully dry before marinating it so that the marinade mixture will coat it evenly once you begin marinating it. Then, place the chicken in a clean, deep basin and set it aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a separate clean bowl, combine the ingredients (Himalayan salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, curry powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and baking powder) in the following order: salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, curry powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and baking powder. Incorporate everything well to spread out the flavors to the chicken when it is marinated later on in the refrigerator.
- Begin to coat the chicken with the marinade mixture on both sides. You may coat them all at once or treat the chicken pieces one at a time to ensure that no place is left uncovered throughout the cooking process. Alternatively, you may toss the chicken to ensure uniformly coated with the marinade mixture.
- In a large zip-top bag or aluminum foil, seal the marinated chicken wings and place them in the refrigerator for 24 hours, or overnight is OK. If you don’t have time to marinate for an hour, it’s OK to do so for an hour and then start frying the chicken wings right away.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and drizzle it with a little amount of olive oil or vegetable oil to finish it off. Cooking oil is optional if you’re attempting to save money on your meal preparations.
- Organize your time and resources.
- Prepare your air fryer by preheating it to 390 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, using a food thermometer, you can ensure that the temperature is ready and precise before frying the chicken thighs and wings.
- The chicken wings should be deep-fried for a medium-sized cut for around 13-14 minutes on each side. This will also be determined by the size of the chicken wings that you have chopped. If you brought a smaller piece, fry it for around 10-11 minutes on each side; if you got a bigger piece, cook it for 15 minutes.
- Fry them in batches to ensure that they cook thoroughly on the inside. It is important not to overcrowd the air fryer to avoid the chicken wings becoming undercooked.
- At this point, you may remove the dish from the air fryer and set it aside for 5 minutes before serving. Then, serve it with a low-calorie dip that you make yourself, and serve it with your favorite side dishes, such as french fries or mashed potatoes.
- Leftover chicken wings may be kept in an airtight container or ziplock bag for up to three days. It is unnecessary to reheat it in the air fryer once again; alternatively, you may reheat it in the microwave oven. It can only be heated once, and once it has been heated, it must be consumed immediately.
Flour Substitute for Fried Chicken
Other than baking powder, cornstarch is arguably the second-best alternative. Cornstarch is well-known for its ability to crisp up any fried meal, whether it’s meat or veggies, and it’s also inexpensive. After you’ve marinated the chicken, combine cornstarch with water and other ingredients and coat it. It is most effective when deep-fried.
Other varieties of flour
To make the breading mix for standard fried chicken dishes, most chefs use all-purpose flour instead of breading flour. However, you should be aware that you may substitute different flours for the regular flour, such as potato starch, cornflour, and even rice flour.
Using regular flour accomplishes the same result. Just be careful, since certain flours absorb too much oil or burn fast when cooked over high heat, so exercise caution.
Do not use any flour
It is, in fact, a possibility! Just make sure you don’t remove the skin of the chicken. Instead, allow it to marinate in your preferred spice blend for at least a day. The chicken is deeply fried, and you’ll be shocked at how light, flavorful, and crispy the chicken is without the use of flour.
Use a skillet or a Dutch oven for cooking it in.
Marinate your chicken equally and chop it into bite-size pieces once it has been sliced. Fry them in batches to prevent them from sticking together. It is not necessary to use a large amount of oil. Just enough to allow for cooking on both sides. Cook it for approximately 8 minutes, or until it is lightly browned on top.
Embrace the use of eggs and bread crumbs.
If you like the crispy texture of Japanese tempura, you could consider substituting this powerful combination for your usual flour. All that is required is to beat the eggs and set them in a large mixing dish. Next, place the bread crumbs on a large platter and set them aside.
Make a dipping motion with your left hand into the egg mixture, coating the marinated chicken well. Next, drop the egg-coated chicken pieces on top of the bread crumb mixture and coat them well with your right hand.
Using this method, keep both of your hands from becoming sticky and moist. When covering the chicken with eggs, use your opposite hand.
Fry: it’s frozen
After marinating the chicken, place it in a freezer overnight and deep-fry it as soon as it is taken out of the freezer the next day. The chemical interaction between cold chicken and heated oil may result in a crispy golden chicken that is crispy and flavorful. There is no need to defrost. Check that the temperature is adjusted to the appropriate level.
Can We Make Fried Chicken Using a Pancake Flour Mix?
According to my personal experience, using it would not harm you. However, remember to choose a pancake flour mix that isn’t sweetened; otherwise, your fried chicken will taste like a pastry. Also, keep in mind that the outside is not as crispy and cakier on the side that faces the street.
When using a pancake batter mix, use just a little mixture to coat the chicken just enough to give it a light coating. It is preferable to use a thin coating to make the chicken crispier. It is still worth trying even though it does not have the same outcomes as coating with flour.
Is There a Particular Cooking Oil that Should be Used?
I would never use anything other than canola or peanut oil. Cooking with either oil is excellent for fried meals, particularly chicken. In addition to providing a crisp finish to the food, it also imparts a savory flavor to the dish.
If you want to keep using the oil until it becomes a bit darker in color, you may. However, once the oil has become too dark, it should be discarded. Using too much oil while frying will result in fried chicken that is bitter and burned in appearance.
Additionally, I do not advocate using olive oil or sesame oil since these are high-heat cooking oils that burn fast. The flavor of burned fried chicken is harsh, and it increases the danger of ingesting carcinogens, which may lead to cancer if consumed.
Is it Healthier to Fry Chicken Without Using Flour?
The removal of the flour will undoubtedly result in a chicken that is somewhat “healthier,” especially if you are searching for gluten-free and carb-free fried chicken. You will, however, need to erase the breadcrumbs that were utilized.
If you are attempting to reduce the calorie count or fat level of a dish, omitting the flour will have little, if any, impact on your results.
Because you are using such a small amount of flour to produce the coating for the chicken, the calorie count per piece may be reduced by 2-3 grams.
We believe that this does not render the plant sufficiently healthy to warrant removal just for this reason. Until you fry it, it will not get healthier unless you do so. This holds whether or not you use any of the replacements listed above.