The recipe for hot water cornbread is traditional and old-fashioned, which you will surely enjoy. These are the cakes that are not baked but fried and served with maple syrup and honey.
These are known by different names Hoecakes, corn dodgers, and corn pone. You can also use the self-rising cornbread mix to make these cakes, or you can add some flour and sugar. Cornbread is unusual and delicious, and you will surely enjoy the recipe to make.
If we talk about the origin of hot water cornbread, it goes back to the native people of America who had been using ground corn as food for thousands of years.
- How to make Meatloaf from scratch
- 5 New Greatest Sizzling Plates
- 10 Amazing Meatloaf Recipes + Expert Tips
- Ideal Meatloaf Temperature to cook
- How to Tell if Ground Turkey is Bad: Shelf Life and Thawing
Why is a Recipe For Hot Water Cornbread Popular?
The popularity of this recipe comes from its affordability. The recipe mainly used only three ingredients, i.e., water, cornmeal, and fat.
The bread is fried on the cooktop rather than baking in the oven. Even the texture of the Cornbread Cornbread is not like bread. It is in the shape of patties with a crunchy crust with the center filled with cream. According to some people, this Cornbread Cornbread serves its purpose as a part of the meat, soaking the sauces present in the pot licker or meat juices.
Recipe For Hot Water Cornbread
- Melt butter in a 10- or 12-inch pan over medium-high heat. Add oil to a depth of around 12 inches. While making the cornmeal, heat the oil.
- Mix the cornmeal and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Mix everything.
- Stir in hot water gradually.
- Mix everything until you get a moist, sticky dough. If necessary, add additional water to get the desired consistency.
- When the oil is hot enough (approximately 375 degrees F), shape little dough patties.
- Lower the patties into the heated oil with caution.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the color is a medium golden brown.
- Cook until browned on the second side.
- Exclude from the oil and drain on a rack or paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve at room temperature or heated.
How to Store Hot Water Cornbread?
You can store this Cornbread Cornbread in different ways. You can put them in an air-tight container or wrapped in plastic wrap. You can store them for 2 days by this method. However, if you want to keep it for a more extended period, you can store it in the refrigerator for a week or in the freezer for 2 to 3 months.
What to Eat With Cornbread?
You can use hot water cornbread in different ways. Here are a few ideas:
Jalapeno is the perfect partner for Cornbread Cornbread. I love this combo, as it goes perfectly with many dishes, whether BBQ or different soups. In addition, you can make Jalapeno cornbread cookies, which give you a mix of sweet and tangy flavors.
Many people love the combination of sweet and salty. If you are of them, try some honey drizzle on CornbreadCornbread. It can be the first to eat or the last eatable after your dinner.
Cheese is something that enhances the flavor of every dish. You can choose from different variety of dishes. Select from goat or cream cheese or feta, and many more. So I would suggest adding your favorite cheese into your mixture of Cornbread Cornbread and bake. Top with melted cheddar and enjoy. You are going to love it.
You can use a different variety of pork products that go well with cornbread. I suggest you try bacon, the crispiness of bacon strips pair perfectly with the softness of bacon bread. You can serve it in two ways. You can directly mix it into the batter or do it on the side of cornbread.
I hope you liked my article on a recipe for hot water cornbread. You can also try your favorite thing that goes with cornbread and share your views in comments.