9 Health Benefits of Oats and Oatmeal
1. Oats Are Incredibly Nutritious
Oats are rich in carbs and fiber, but also higher in protein and fat than most other grains. They are very high in many vitamins and minerals.
2. Whole Oats Are Rich in Antioxidants
Oats contain many powerful antioxidants, including avenanthramides. These compounds may help reduce blood pressure and provide other benefits.
3. Oats Contain a Powerful Soluble Fiber Called Beta-Glucan
It helps reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels, promotes healthy gut bacteria and increases feelings of fullness.
4. They Can Lower Cholesterol Levels and Protect LDL Cholesterol From Damage
Oats may lower the risk of heart disease by reducing both total and LDL cholesterol and protecting LDL cholesterol.
5. Oats Can Improve Blood Sugar Control
Due to the soluble fiber beta-glucan, oats may improve insulin sensitivity and help lower blood sugar levels.
6. Oatmeal Is Very Filling and May Help You Lose Weight
Oatmeal may help you lose weight by making you feel more full. It does this by slowing down the emptying of the stomach.
7. Finely Ground Oats May Help With Skin Care
Colloidal oatmeal has long been used to help treat dry and itchy skin. It may help relieve symptoms of various skin conditions, including eczema.
8. They May Decrease the Risk of Childhood Asthma
Some research suggests that oats may help prevent asthma in children when fed to young infants.
9. Oats May Help Relieve Constipation
Studies indicate that oat bran can help reduce constipation in elderly individuals, significantly reducing the need to use laxatives.
10 SIDE EFFECTS OF EATING OATMEAL