The article contains a brief overview of Crumble Apple Pie and how to make crumb topping for apple pie. Apple pie is made up of a tender crust filled with juicy, spiced apples and a delicious buttery topping of crumble. It will be the perfect dessert for you. I love apple pie, but that crumble topping on apple pie will always win my heart. However each pie is delicious, but what sets this pie apart is that crumble topping. The topping is easy to make and makes your apple pie yummy.
Let’s check out how to make the crumb topping for apple pie:
How to Make Crumb Topping For Apple Pie
The crumb topping for apple pie is easy to make and contains few ingredients. It includes:
- Brown/white sugar
- Baking Soda
Make the crumble topping for apple pie by mixing all ingredients with a fork until well blended and crumbly.
How to Make Apple Crumb Pie?
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Rolled Oats
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/3 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter, slices
- Combine the oats, flour, dark brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Mix gently to break up any lumps. Be careful not to crush the oats.
- To create a mealy texture, rub the cold butter into the ingredients with your fingertips.
- Keep the mixture in the refrigerator while you prepare the apple filling.
Apple Pie Filling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep the pie shell aside on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil.
- Peel the apples and cut them into 1/2-inch thick slices after removing the skin and seeds. Set aside apple pieces in a medium mixing basin.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, and spices with your hands until well combined. Remove any clumps. Toss in the apples to coat them.
- Fill the pie shell with the spiced apples, including any sugar and liquids gathered in the mixing bowl.
- Top the pie with the crumb topping, leaving a 1/2-inch border uncovered. When the pie is baked, the topping will cover the entire pie.
- Bake for about an hour on the middle rack, or until the juices are bubbling and the crumb topping is lightly browned.
How Do You Know When a Crumble is Cooked?
It should be baked for about 45 minutes in the preheated oven or as specified in the recipe. The apple layer of the crumble should be bubbling, and the crumble surface should be an even medium golden brown. In case you are using a shallower, larger baking pan, like a 9×9, be sure to watch it closely. It may take 5 to 10 minutes less time for the crumble to be done.
How Long Does Crumble Topping Last in Fridge?
The crumble topping should be stored in an airtight freezer container or a freezer bag that is properly shut. The topping should be utilized within 3 months of freezing for the best results since ice crystals can form in the mixture after that time, making it somewhat less crisp when baked. If the crumble has frozen into firm lumps, you can break them up by placing the mixture in a thick freezer bag. Place the bag on a chopping board, loosely seal it, and tap the lumps with a rolling pin until they break down into smaller pieces.
How To Freeze Crumb Topping?
Crust mix is effortless to freeze, and it takes hardly any effort at all. But, here you have to follow some simple steps to freeze crumb topping:
- Make Mix
Cook or prepare the crumble mix according to your favorite recipe; just don’t add any fruit or filling.
- Cool the Mixture
Cool the mix, and then divide it into portions.
- Fill the Portion Into Bags
Place each portion in a freezer bag – one in each bag.
Label each bag with the date and contents.
- Seal and Freeze
Put it in the freezer after you squeeze out any excess air. You can also use these containers instead. Make sure they are airtight and labeled before freezing.